San Antonio, Eastbourne
The naming of the parish after one of Italy’s most revered saints speaks to the many Italian families that settled in Eastbourne in the 1890s, often supported by fishing in and around Wellington.
The first Mass was celebrated in 1904 by Fr Maples who travelled from Petone. A cottage chapel was built around 1906 and was served by Fr A Keogh until 1909, the church was built shortly thereafter in its current location. San Antonio school was opened in 1936.
Renovations and an extension of the church were completed in 2005.