Baptism in the Parish of the Holy Spirit
Baptising your child is an important step – in fact, the first step in your child’s faith journey. It is therefore important that you, as parents, be fully informed and prepared. Baptism is one of the most precious gifts you can give to your child – the promise of eternal life, the gift of becoming a child of God and a beloved member of God’s family.
In order to have your child baptised:
- Make an appointment to discuss your child’s baptism.
- Attend a baptism preparation course (if this is your first child to be baptised).
- Schedule the date and time for your child’s baptism (2nd and 4th Sunday of each month).
- Your child needs two godparents – at least one must be over 16 years of age, confirmed and a practising Catholic.
Baptism preparation courses are held 1st Thursday of every month, at Sacred Heart Church, Petone. It is preferred that you attend a baptism preparation course before your child is baptised. If you live in Waiwhetu, you may have your child baptised in Our Lady of Rosary, the usually preparation is in our OLR Church.
If you live out of the Parish, you may have your child baptised here (e.g. if you are visiting parents or family here) but you need to:
- Have the permission of your own parish priest.
- Attend a baptism preparation course in your home parish, if available
Baptisms can be arranged at other times if there is good reason, and if a priest is available. There is no fee to have your child baptised, but it is traditional to give a koha to the church on the occasion of your child’s baptism.