Waiwhetu State School was used as a Mass centre in 1928. Our Lady of the Rosary church was built by parishioner Tom McKillop in 1929 and initially doubled as both a church and a school. It was also used for parish socials, card evenings dances and concerts to raise funds.
A large house was purchased in 1941 and adapted for school purposes. In 1951 the present school was opened and the house converted to a convent.
Waiwhetu was part of Lower Hutt parish until 1946 when it was designated a parish in its own right with Fr Bernard Keegan as Parish Priest for Waiwhetu and Wainuiomata. The church was refurbished and re-oriented to its current layout in 1981.