Sacred Heart, Petone
In 1895 a five-roomed house on an acre of land in Britannia St was purchased for the church and in 1898 the Lower Hutt Parish Priest, Fr John Lane, decided to build a church on the site at a cost of 900 pounds. Archbishop Redwood blessed and officially opened it on 21 May 1899, also opening the school in 1904. The later purchase of two nearby houses allowed the addition of a convent for the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions.
A second church dedicated to the Sacred Heart was opened on the Feast of Christ the King, October 1934.
The school was declared structurally unsafe and rebuilt in 1988. The church was also declared unsafe in 1984. Initial planning work and substantial fundraising was led by Fr John Murphy and an army of volunteers then picked up by Fr Michael McCabe when he joined the Parish in 1990. The second church was demolished in 1993. The third church designed by Nick Bevin used the footprint of the previous church and was completed in 1997, opening again on the Feast of Christ the King.